YANDINA HISTORIC HOUSE
Visitor Information Centre
9.30am to 2:30pm
3 Pioneer Rd, Yandina QLD 4561
Phone 07 5472 7181
Closed on public holidays.
Yandina Historic House Mission
Yandina Historic House is leased from the Sunshine Coast Council by the Yandina and District Historical Society Inc. a not for profit organisation run by volunteers.
The Historical Society’s aim is to research, preserve and display local history and in turn make it accessible to the community.
The house promotes this through its:
- Visitor Information Centre – relax in parkland setting and find out about Yandina
- Historical Photographs and Local History Displays
- Art Gallery – work by local artists that reflects the traditional nature of the house
- Devonshire Teas, Light Lunches, Great Coffee – very yummy scones and jam
- Gift and Craft Shop – a wide range of locally made Gifts and Crafts. Sewing, Knitted Items, Baby Clothes and much more …
- Museum – open Wednesdays 10:00am to 1:00pm.
History of Yandina Historic House
Yandina Historic House was built in 1899 -1900 at Bridges approximately two km north of Yandina, by pioneer John Gustave Sommer for his family home. His wife Fredericka (Rikka) named it “Tillstead” after her birthplace in Denmark.
The house changed hands six times being owned in turn by John Sommerville, Thomas Arthur Graham, Joan Sharp, George Sharpe, Katherine Rose Somerset and finally in 1923, Benjamine Morgan Williams. By this time the name of the house had changed to “Kenaldare”. Three generations of the Williams family lived here with son Rhys and his wife Margaret holding their wedding reception at “Kenaldare” in 1978.
In 1996, Main Roads resumed the property to make way for the new Bruce Highway and the house was relocated to its present site.
The Maroochy Shire Council had the house restored with the help of Skill Centred.
The Yandina Historical Society took over the lease of the house in November 2003 naming the house “Yandina Historic House” and recognising previous owners on a plaque and historical displays.
Through the dedicated work of volunteers the House has been open to the public since Nov 2003.