Aborigines lived in the Yandina area for many thousands of years before the arrival of Europeans. Middens, scarred trees, bora rings and burial grounds remain as evidence. The district has a rich heritage of Aboriginal names.
1823 Shipwrecked and lost, Pamphlet, Finnegan and Parsons were possibly the first white visitors along the coast.
1853 Daniel and Zacharias Skyring were granted cattle leases for Canando and Yandina cattle runs, the first land occupied by Europeans east of the Blackall Range.
1859 Queensland became a separate colony.
1861 Official reports show that cedar, beech, flooded gum, bunya and hoop pine were being cut in the Native Dog Flat (Yandina) area.
1867 Gold was discovered at Gympie which was important for development in the area we now call the Sunshine Coast.
1868 The first land selections were made on the Sunshine Coast at Yandina.
The Yandina Post Office was the first to be opened between Brisbane and Gympie, at Yandina Wharf opposite Dunethin Rock. Later that year it was moved to South Maroochy Crossing on a new government road built from Brisbane to Gympie where Cobb & Co had a staging post.
The Maroochy River remained the most popular method of transport for people, goods and timber.
1869 As well as the Post Office and Store, James Low established the Mooroochie Hotel, the first to be licensed on the Sunshine Coast.
Selectors took up land along Maroochy River.
1870 Proclamation of town of Yandina.
1871 Charles Warner surveyed the town of Yandina, the second town, after Tewantin, on the Sunshine Coast to be surveyed.
1873 At the first sale of town lots, one only was purchased by Rev. Joseph Buckle. Names of streets were later adopted from the first purchasers of corner allotments e.g. Buckle, Farrell, Fleming, Scott, Low, Stevens.
1874 A Telegraph Office, the first government building on the Sunshine Coast was opened.
1879 The Maroochy Provisional School was erected halfway between the settlements at Petrie Creek and Maroochy Crossing, the second school to be erected on the Sunshine Coast after Buderim.
1880 Arthur Gawthern gave the land and with other pioneers helped to erect the first church in Yandina. Non-denominational at first, it later became All Saints Anglican Church.
1881 The Government Gazette proclaimed 2 600 acres (1 040 hectares) around Yandina for township purposes.
1882 The Government Gazette proclaimed a cemetery reserve known as the Maroochy General Cemetery now known as the Yandina Cemetery.
1883 Yandina Post office was renamed Maroochy Post Office. In 1891 it reverted to the name Yandina Post Office. From 1868 to 1891 the Post Office was at South Maroochy Crossing.
1884 Almost all the land along the rivers had been selected. Denis O’Sullivan, shoemaker, had the first house in the town.
1885 Fairhill Provisional School opened. Thirty allotments in the town were sold but there was still no development. The settlement at South Maroochy Crossing remained the centre of commerce.
1888 J.G. Sommer opened a hotel on the corner of Farrell and Fleming Streets. Blocks in the agricultural villages of Gneering and Ninderry were successfully selected. Almost all were successfully freeholded.
1889 Yandina Provisional School opened with 28 students.
1891 The last link in the railway from Brisbane to Gympie was opened. (Steam engines were used until 1969; diesel engines were used from the 1950s to the present. The first electric train was in 1989.) The Hotel was moved to its present site near the railway station.
Post Office and Telegraph Office activities moved to the railway station. Yandina boasted a butcher, blacksmith, draper, storekeeper, carpenter, boardinghouse and a police constable.
1895 William Hamilton erected a juice mill (using sugar cane) which was later connverted to an arrowroot mill. J.G. Sommer erected the Excelsior Hall in Scott Street.
1896 James Higginson opened Yandina’s first bakery. Yandina Racecourse and Recreation reserve gazetted though race meetings had been held there since 1888.
1897 The Moreton Central Sugar Mill was opened to cane suppliers from Yandina, Bridges and North Arm. Timbergetting, maize, arrowroot and potatoes were the main crops. Bananas and citrus were also grown.
1901 The Federation of Australian States.
1902 Yandina Provisional School became a State School.
1904 Methodist Church opened. It closed in 2004
1908 Masonic Temple built by Franz Nyman opened.
1908-1911 Moreton Central Sugar Mill tramway opened to Maroochy River.
1909 New buildings erected for John McNab the Storekeeper, Tom Rutherford the Baker, George Best the Butcher. The Bank of NSW and the ES&A Bank opened. Dairying and the sending of cream to the Caboolture Butter Factory became important.
1911 Maroochy River State School opened. It closed in 1972.
1914 Population of Yandina, 280. First private telephone connection.
1914-1924, 1932-1941 and 1949-1964 Yandina Creek Provisional and State School.
1914-1918 Volunteers from the district went to World War One.
1915-1962 Cooloolabin State School
1915-1933 Poona State School
1916 Both Yandina School of Arts and Maroochy River School of Arts opened. Franz Nyman built the Yandina School of Arts.
Post 1916 Silent Pictures with live musical accompaniment began at the Yandina School of Arts.
1917 Cooloolabin School of Arts opened. The first car, a REO 1905, arrived in Yandina by train for Julius Steggall.
1918-1936 Brown’s Creek State School
1918-1942 Golden Valley/Valdora State School
1918-1963 Maroochy Co-operative Store served Yandina.
1919 Jocumsen & Stephens Sawmill established in Low Street.
1921 Baptist Church opened. Destroyed in tornado in 1955 and a new church opened the same year.
1923 Catholic Church opened. In 1978 the building was moved to Nambour.
1924 Bowder’s subdivision of 68 lots near railway station and Coolum Road opened.
1924 Yandina and District War memorial built. The first garage built and opened by W. Granger.
1927-1964 Kiamba State School
1929-1991 Yandina Branch of Queensland CWA
1931 Kiamba Hall opened. It was formerly the Dulong Hall. In 1966 it was dismantled and rebuilt for the Order of the Eastern Star in Fleming Street and finally demolished in 2005.
1939 Opening of Drill Hall, later RSL Hall. Relocated to present site in 1989.
1939-1945 Volunteers from the district went to World War Two.
1940 Installation of electricity supply. Presbyterian church opened. Valdora Public Hall built.
1944 Seventh Day Adventist Church opened in Stevens Street. Relocated to present site in North Street in 1990. From 1944 – 1962 Jack and Bob Etheridge showed talkies (movies) in the School of Arts.
1955 A tornado struck, destroying buildings and creating havoc.
1956 Black and white television began in Queensland.
1961 Town water supply connected from Wappa Dam.
1964 Hall of Fame opened by Australian Country Music Association.
1965-1973 Volunteers and National Servicemen went to the Vietnam War.
1967 Opening of Edmonds Memorial Hall for Order of Eastern Star. Demolished in 2005
1968 Sunshine Coast Speedway established. Closed in 2007.
1970 Closure of largest Sawmill in Yandina, owned by Wilkinson family since 1935.
1972 Starlight Community established. Fruitgrowers Association closed.
1975 Old Baker’s shop, corner of Farrell and Stevens Streets burnt down.
1977 Development of the Yandina Sports Complex. Frith’s Store, previously Browne’s, then Dunkley’s, destroyed by fire.
1980 Yandina Ginger Factory established having relocated from Buderim.
1986 Scouts, Guides, Bowls and Tennis moved to present sites near the Sports Complex because of proposed highway changes.
1993 Starlight Community Hall completed.
1996 Opening of Child Care Centre in Low Street.
1997 The Bruce Highway moved to the east of the town with the opening of the Yandina Bypass.
2001 Celebration of 100 Years of Federation of Australia.
2003 J.P.F.Wilkinson Units opened in Low Street. Opening of Historic House in Pioneer Road.
2003 Closure of Nambour Sugar Mill affects cane farmers in the district.
2006 Elsie Williams Gawun Djugan Respite House opened in Bracken Fern Road. Opening of Australian Provincial Press in Pioneer Road.
2008 Amalgamation of three shires to become the Sunshine Coast Regional Council.
2012 Opening of the new IGA.
2015 Opening of Yandina Baptist Connections and Men’s Shed.
Source: Timeline first begun by Fred Fink and updated by Audienne Blyth.